Cage Warriors welterweight champion Nicolas Dalby was the unfortunate victim of a last-minute fight cancellation earlier this month. But the situation wasn’t all bad.Filed under: Cage Warriors, MMAjunkie Radio, News
Bantamweights Ian Entwistle and Anthony Birchak have agreed to meet later this year at UFC on FOX 13Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC
The fight card for December’s UFC on FOX 13 event has another notable addition.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC
As a reminder UFC 182 headliners Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier are among the scheduled topics at today’s Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing, which streams live on UFC Fight Pass.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC
Anthony Johnson released from UFC by John Morgan on Jan 15, 2012 at 2:30 am ET
RIO DE JANEIRO – Anthony Johnson's third weighcutting mistake will be his last in the UFC, at least for now. Following Saturday night's UFC 142 event at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, UFC president Dana White terminated Johnson's contract.
"This is his third time," White said of Johnson's failure to make weight for the third time in his octagon career. "Three strikes and you're gone." Johnson (10-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC), of course, missed weight for his co-feature fight with Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC). The UFC president said Johnson came within a pound-and-a-half of the 186-pound limit allowed for non-title middleweight fights but was forced by a doctor to rehydrate because the former welterweight contender "couldn't make it."
"That was one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen," White said. "The guy was at 170 pounds. He moved up to 185 pounds so this wouldn't happen anymore, and this is the worst weightcutting disaster he's ever had. He almost ruined the co-main event here in Brazil. I don't know what else to say about that one. I'm not happy about it." On Friday, White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Johnson's job would be on the line, regardless of the result of his fight. While his words made it seem as if Johnson could potentially keep his spot in the promotion, the UFC boss said his decision was already made.
"I knew what the decision was when I talked to you on Friday," White told MMAjunkie.com. "This is his third time. Listen, the guy was having problems making 170 pounds. He wanted to stay at 170 or whatever his deal was. You go to 185, and you blow it as bad as he blew it? That's bad, man."